At a distance of 30 km from Hyderabad and 5 km from Shamshabad Bus Stop, Sri Rama Chandra Swamy Temple of Ammapally is an extremely historical Temple and popular for movie shootings. This is furthermore one of the most visited among Hyderabad tourist spots. The Rama temple was constructed by Vengi kings in 13th century but the idol was 1000 years old. The temple is embellished with a huge seven-story tower which is quite popular among Telugu film fans. There is a huge portrayal of Lord Vishnu is sleeping posture above the gateway of the tower.
The tower is followed by the major temple with a vast hallway around the temple. The Idols of Rama, Sita and Laxmana and its Makara Thoranam are beautifully shaped from single black rock. Anjaneya, usually escorting Lord Rama, is not observed in the garbhagriha. Rather, Anjaneya Swamy idol is positioned near the Dwaja Sthambam confronting Sri Rama. There is a huge temple pond which is extremely historical. The pond is encircled by porticos and once it provided shelter to the travellers. The surroundings of the pond are crammed with coconut trees. There is a mandapa opposite to the shrine. Tollywood film industry cherishes Ammapalli Temple and they feel that movies recorded here would become hit with the blessings of Sri Sita Rama Swamy. Sri Rama Navami is celebrated with incredible enthusiasm at this temple every year.
Learn all about this beautiful ancient temple of India
Ammapalli Temple History
This temple was constructed in the 11th Century during the empire of Vengi Chalukyas. This marvellous building stretch over 250 acres of land. The 7 storeyed Gali Gopuram is of 90 ft. The Inscriptions on this Gopuram portrays Lord Vishnu, Rama and Dasavathara pics. Two huge Temple Tanks are situated on the South and East sides to the temple. This temple is devoted to Lord Rama, Sita and Lakshmana and is a monolithic Idol. It is mumbled that Lord Rama and Lakshmana reached to this spot well before meeting Hanuma so there is no Hanuma Idol in the Garbha Gruha. Shree Rama Idol is of 4 ft. This temple is situated at a distance of 6 Km from Shamshabad. The external layout of this Temple was constructed by Muslim rulers.
Sri Sita Rama Kalyanam will be celebrated on Sri Rama Navami day. Distinct Mantaps were constructed for Edurkolu and Kalyanam. This temple was acknowledged as the UNESCO heritage in 2010. Sri Rama at vanavasa has seized rest here. Sri Rama & Hanuman didn't met till then, so he is named as Kodanda Rama.
Temple was established by Chalukyas. 90 ft Gopuram(7 starred tower)is major allure. A sole black stone sculptured Rama, sita, Lakshmana idols, encompassing makara thoranam are unusual & one of 6 idols in all over India(11th century sculpture). Anjaneya idol is settled beside Garuda at dwajasthaba. It's the motivation for Charminar in Hyderabad. In Ramayana Aranyakanda Sri Rama, Sita and Lakshmana dwelled in jungle for 14 years. They began from Ayodhya and strolled through jungles from North India to South. They reached to this place which named as Dandakaranya. Sri Rama, Sita and Lakshmana rested a night here. So to remember that this spot was sacred area felt by Sri Rama feet, a temple was built. Around 7- 11th century this was Chalukyas kingdom, in their time the temple was built.
Intriguing facts about Ammapalli Temple
- Since Sita Maa abides as prominent deity in this temple ,this town is named as Ammapalli. It is Around 1000 year old temple. The temple is historical during Chalukya's period.
- 70 ft Gali Gopuram is major allure here. Baked bricks, lime stone are employed and stuccoed this 7 storied edifice. It is motivation for Nizam's Char -minar which was built in 15th century.
- A sole boulder for 3 idols with "makara thoranam"- the arch is unique here. This arch comprises 10 incarnations of Lord Vishnu. This kind of stone carving belongs to 11th century. And there are just two idols of this kind in India. In Ammapalli temple & Ryali-Jaganmohana temple. On temple entrance arch Lord Vishnu idol captivates us.
- The Nagara the walking manner, water tank and Gali gopuram constructed later in Rajasthani architecture. It's unusual to glimpse north Indian architecture in South Indian temples.
- At entrance to major temple there is Koorma (turtle incarnation), which is rare & gives special salvation power to shrine.
- Why is Lord Hanuman statue opposite to major temple that houses Lord Rama? At the time Lord Rama, Seeta & Lakshmana came here, Hanuman is not with them. After they took off to Panchavati there they met Hanuman.
So corresponding that circumstance statue established near Dwajasthambham. Lord Rama named as Kodanda Rama here because he is with the bow. Before Hanuman met Rama named as Kodanda Rama.
Ammapalli temple in movies
Ammapalli Rama temple is demonstrated in more than 1000 movies and Telugu serials. After super hit Murari film this temple named as "Murari movie temple" and "Cinema Gudi". There is presumption for directors that even if a tiny scene of film recorded here, it bestows them enormous hit at box office. Movies recorded here Murari, Maryada Ramanna etc. Ample of the Tollywood movies pertain to this temple. It is assumed that recording at this temple is auspicious.
This temple makes you feel in a different world, far away from the hustle and bustle of a town despite the Kakatiya rooted temple's locality to the ever-busy Shamshabad airport by 15 km. Sri Sita Ramachandra Swamy Devasthanam at Ammapally, Nakhoda, could be 800 years old or much former. Bastions and ramparts track the Kakatiya impact. The gali gopuram will take your breath away with its detailed filigree works and the Rajasthani pinch. A large stepwell, which dried as indiscriminate hierarchies sprang up closeby, is utilized as a stage to enact dances. Though incredible there is still room for modification.
Rajasthani jarokhas with pictures wearing Rajasthani clothes adorn this piece of marvel. The wall around the temple is Kakatiyan with characters of a lion and a peacock. So, the temple has the Persian and Kakatiyan art. From afar, if you were not to glimpse the gopuram, then it would look more like a mosque with just the ramparts and the bastions noticeable. The individualism of the temple fabricates elsewhere. Though a Ram temple, there is no idol of Hanuman inside the temple sanctorum.
The gopuram inside the temple is another beaulty with multiple tales portrayed on it, encompassing the Ksheerasagara Madana, Gajendra Moksham, Vatapatra Sai, Venkateshwara Kalyanam, etc. The magnificence of all these lies in the fact that the original pattern has been conserved, with covering of dagu chunam or limestone. The temple edifice has not been meddled with to conserve its actual glory and yore. Not surprisingly, the temple got an INTACH Award in 2010 under the religious architecture type.
A few modifications are there. The sanctum sanctorum has been encased with tiles because the walls were swarmed with rats. This has been done with enormous intricacy without striking with the former structure. People reach and pray and then ask for a wish, by binding their anxieties and unfulfilled desires in a red cloth with a coconut inside. The pogadu chettu (Mimusops elengi) gives its aroma and carries all these wishes and desires of the people. Red bundles sway over a small temple as the gentle breeze hits over the tree a classic spectacle in multiple temples. Once the desire is fulfilled, people arrive and unburden the tree, but there are multiple still dangling low on the tree. There is a Parijata bush that bestows flowers for the daily pujas and gives its extraordinary aroma as you walk over the fallen ones unknowingly. Masa Kalyanotsavam will be celebrated on Punarvasu Nakshatra day (Birth star of Lord Rama)
The mandapam and the entrance are still in their actual shape with a big parking area for the ratham which is employed for taking the gods around the towns during the festival. Many centuries ago, the people who owned the temple would reach and stay here. The bhavantam or the residences are severed but are kept in a ruinous state to give evidence to the past. The Shivalayam, part of the temple network, has a Hemad Panthi gopuram with a vernacular sense.
Ammapalli Temple Timings
Morning Hours: 6:00 am to 1:00 pm
Evening Hours: 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm
Best Time to visit:
Oct to Jul. Temple will be loaded on Sri Rama Navami, Vaikunta Ekadasi, Dwadasi, Telugu Newyear, English New year, Karthika Masam etc.
Here are a few hidden facts about the Ammapalli Temple:
- The temple is believed to have been built during the 12th century AD by the Eastern Chalukya dynasty.
- The temple is known for its intricate carvings and sculptures, which are a blend of South Indian and North Indian architectural styles.
- The temple is also known for its unique architectural style, which is a blend of the Vesara and Dravida styles.
- The temple is said to have been built on the site where Lord Vishnu appeared to a devotee named Amma in a dream and asked her to build a temple in his honor.
- The temple is also known for its unique and intricate carvings on the walls and pillars, which depict scenes from Hindu mythology.
- The temple is also home to a unique statue of Lord Vishnu, which is carved out of a single stone.
- The temple is surrounded by a large and well-maintained garden, which is a popular spot for visitors to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
- The temple is also a popular spot for pilgrimage, and many devotees come to the temple to offer prayers and seek blessings from Lord Vishnu.
- The temple is also famous for its annual festival which is celebrated during the month of February, and attracts thousands of visitors from all over the country.
- The temple is not that well known and is not as popular as other temples in Andhra Pradesh, but it is definitely worth visiting for those interested in ancient architecture and history.
How to reach Ammapalli Temple :
The closest airport to the temple is at Shamshabad which is 12 Km away.
The closest Railway station to ammapalli temple is at Kacheguda which is 32 Km away.
The direct bus is accessible from Secunderabad and Hyderabad stands.
A mixture of wonderful location, ambience and fortune amass the temple's additional laurels. For all its architectural splendour and impression in popular cinema, it is the lore of this temple that persists with you.
No Comment yet. Be the first :)